Search This Blog

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Large Fig Parrot from Klasow Valley

There are a lot of species of tropical birds that live in Klasow valley. One with beautiful colors is called Large Fig Parrot (Psittaculirostris desmarestii).

I am surprized to see that it is only a small bird. I don't know why ornitologists add the word "Large" on its name.
I used to guide 4 French tourists in January 2016. In the afternoon before sunset time, we went birding around the forest clearing in Klasow valley. Suddenly some Large Fig Parrot flew to a tree in front of us and played there for around several minutes. It was a nice birding experience to see them. We used a spotting scope to watch them.
I hope that I will be able to see them again in my next birding trip to the valley.
If you are interested in taking a birding trip in Sorong regency of West Papua, please, contact me (Charles Roring) by email to: peace4wp@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment