Search This Blog

Monday, February 26, 2018

Birds in Love

Golden Myna in Klasow Valley
Birds are very romantic when they are in love. I have seen some of them when I guided visitors on birdwatching tours in several rainforest areas of West Papua.
When I was in Klasow valley, I saw a couple of Golden Myna (Mino anais) kissing or cuddling each other on a branch of a dead tree. I walked slowly trying to hide myself under the cover of shrubs and other green plants. They were not afraid of me when I aimed my camera at them. I was able to make a lot of pictures of them. The one in this blog was my best shot.
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo (Cacatua galerita)
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo (Cacatua galerita) is a species of bird that is beautiful and can be seen in lowland and lower montane forest of West Papua and its surrounding islands. The bird has got white feather with yellow crest above its head. While I was guiding a French couple in Mesirrokow river of Manokwari, I was able to see a loving couple that was sitting close to each other on a branch of a tree just above the river. They saw us but did not fly away when we walked along the riverside below them. When we were already behind them, I stopped, turned around and took some pictures of them.
Pink-spotted Fruit Dove
Another birds in love couple that I like to present in this post is Pink-spotted Fruit Dove (Ptilinopus perlatus). I saw these birds near the guesthut of Klasow valley. The male and female looked the same. I was guiding some birdwatchers in the lowland forest of Sorong regency at that time. The birds were preparing for a nest because the female bird was carrying eggs. When I returned to the valley again, I could determined the female bird had laid her eggs. I could only hear their sounds. The nest was located in higher branches blocked by leaves and twigs. The bird was also seen at Mesirrokow river - the lowland forest of Manokwari. I was guiding three French tourists. We saw the Pink-spotted Fruit Dove and Lowland Peltop at the same time.
Pinon Imperial Pigeon in lowland forest of Sorong
Pinon Imperial Pigeon (Ducula pinon) lives in lowland and lower montane forest of New Guinea. The feather is mostly brown. Its tail is black with very visible white stripe near its tip. I saw a couple of these birds after watching Lesser Birds of Paradise. I was guiding an Australian couple at that time.
Birding Optics
Watching birds in the forest  is a facinating activity. The birdwatching experience will be greatly enhanced if visitors bring high quality birding devices as binoculars and spotting scopes. I highly recommend Nikon EDG 8×42 mm binoculars and a pair of sturdy Swarovski SLC 10×42 mm binoculars that are suitable for all weather condition. Visitors who go birdwatching without proper birding optics will find their trips only as ordinary sightseeing tours
Written by Charles Roring

No comments:

Post a Comment